Another Adventure

New adventures haven't stopped since we stopped sailing.
Now my adventures are technological.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

model talker

In a previous post I mentioned a program called "model talker".  No this is NOT a curvy blonde that Dave has to listen to, even thought he may wish that.  No this is much better. This is a computer to speech program so he can hear my wonderful voice forever!

You are all familiar with the many recorded messages on the phone and other electronic devices. Some are better than others, but all work with pre-recorded words or phrases. On the other hand, model talker works with the various sounds of letters and letter groupings. In order to get all the sounds necessary the program required recording 3000 phrases. A very formidable task for someone encountering early speech difficulty.  Therefore the designers are working on developing a list of about 1600 phrases that will still give the good quality of speech. Right now they have 6 lists. At 40 sites around the country speech therapists are working with 6 people each to see which list provides the best sound.

 Even 1600 phrases takes time! The computer must be satisfied with the correct volume, correct pitch, and correct pronunciation!  To keep things interesting I needed to do all this without  my bipap providing breathing assistance. Someone had to stand by to give me a breath when needed.

At the beginning of each session there is a calibration section. It includes saying such phrases as "Take ten sapphires to Sarasota" or "please pass poppa the peanuts".  With 7 phrases like that it might take several tried to complete the calibration before going on to the phrases. The first session I was only able to do 50 phrases, by the end I could do 130 - 150.  It was a very interesting experience, but I was glad to be finished.

 Since I was the first one finished the researchers are not sure when we get my voice recording.  I know Dave is eagerly awaiting the opportunity to hear my voice at all times! 

No comments:

Post a Comment