Another Adventure

New adventures haven't stopped since we stopped sailing.
Now my adventures are technological.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

INTERESTING TIMES

Well, the past month has been interesting.  I have had to acknowledge my "head in the sand" approach to this disease is not always smart.  Let me give you some background.

Dave's nephew Brian is getting married at the end of June in the LA area.  I really wanted to go.  Flying is out of the question because of the air pressure in the plane and all of my necessary equipment that we would have to take.  Driving is difficult for Dave because his back does not like sitting in one position for long periods.  So I figured out a fun way to make the trip.  We would send Dave down on the plane to spend time with his dad and take him to the wedding.  Meanwhile Sherry and I, along with my sister Pat, would drive down and spend a little time at the beach.  Sherry would take care of me while Pat acted as our chauffeur.

We were working on all of the equipment we would have to take and all of the possible stops along the way.  We knew it would be major adventure, but Dave and I were ignoring the possible problems that might occur.  While at Caregiver Support Group Dave mentioned the trip to the ALS Social Worker.  He reaction was, "You have got to be kidding me.  What are you thinking?". 

When Dave got home and we talked about his reaction, we had to admit that we really had not been thinking.  Turns out that Todd and Kari were also very concerned, but they knew that their stubborn Mother would not be easy to sway.  So they had just talked to each other, but not to either of us.

I still wanted to go someplace and smell salt air, it had been way too long.  So now Sherry will spend the weekend with me while Dave goes down for the wedding.  My treat comes in July when we will spend a week at the Oregon coast in house right on the beach.  Todd and the boys will be there for the week, and Kari, Garrett and Cindy will be there for part of the time.  Having Sherry with us will help make it a vacation for Dave too.  Although after Sherry saw the pictures of the house, she said it might be a vacation for her too.

So July 15th to the 22nd we will be at Manzanita Beach enjoying the salt air, having our family with us, and still close enough to familiar medical care if needed.  The "head in the sand" approach can get us through most days, but reality needs to creep in occasionally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment