Another Adventure

New adventures haven't stopped since we stopped sailing.
Now my adventures are technological.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Feeling Loved


Last weekend was a long and tough weekend but I was with a wonderful family. With people arriving and leaving at different times I had family with me from Friday morning until Monday night. Being able to have a little time with many people rather than only one big gathering worked for me.

 
Friday morning started with former neighbor Marlene and son Nick. They had been spliced into our family tree a while back. Dinner that evening included sister Margie making her third trip here in a month. Her husband Mike.  Daughters Kym and family from Oakland, and Robin and family from Philadelphia made a pleasant evening. Both were making their second trip after recent visits to see Dave.  It was topped off with root beer floats. They were a special treat that PopPop had shared with the boys.


Saturday morning Uncle Paul and Aunt Dorie stopped by. Paul had started Dave on ham radio as a kid back when he had to know Morse code. There are many boaters that are happy that requirement was dropped. Lunch brought Sister Mary making her second trip but having her 3 adult kids with her this time. It was a make your own sandwich lunch. Fascinating how many of the adults choose PB&J when there were several kinds of lunch meats. Comfort food.

 
We all then headed to the church where the rest of the family met us. It was almost overwhelming to see the number of people, particularly because of the number of friends that were unable to be there. Most were doing grandparent things knowing that Dave would have said they belonged there. Even though we had received flowers at home there were many more at the Church. Following a Jimmy Buffet song that set the mood we shared memories. Kari, Todd, and I had independently chosen some humorous stories to share. We all missed his laugh but know he often retold every story we shared. To lead off the message a segment of his sermon was used. How many people get to talk at their own service? That just seemed like a Dave kind of thing.


After the service we all went downstairs for -what else - oatmeal raisin cookies, popcorn and olives. A long-time friend asked where was the raisin pie, his birthday cake of choice. Back at our house we all enjoyed Dave’s favorite meal, breakfast. My niece, Darien was there with her daughter to try and balance out the 6 boys. Kari's wonderful friends took over the kitchen and proved that architects can cook too. Many people had to leave early Sunday morning, but my sister Pat, brother Bill and sister-in-law Anne joined me on Sunday. This was a good visit and relaxing day. Plus Anne suggested a way to keep my foot warm and still let me use my toes and ball of my foot to move the track ball. Last winter I did everything with shoes. After being barefoot since June I could not go back to shoes. Pat made sure Quincy got loves and we all enjoyed a walk. We had dinner at Todd's house where I could really see the boys growing as they joined in the conversation around the table. Anne and Pat left early Monday morning while Bill stayed with me. Having him around made the house less quiet and he was able to help with several projects. All my wonderful family provided me with love as I moved along a new path.

No comments:

Post a Comment