Another Adventure

New adventures haven't stopped since we stopped sailing.
Now my adventures are technological.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

More Adventures

Many of you have heard me quote a saying from a sailing magazine.  The Difference Between Ordeal and Adventure is Attitude.   Well sometimes it takes a bit of hindsight to become an adventure.              My latest adventure was on Monday February 11th.  One part of the adventure was planned, a trache change, a necessary and regular occurrence.  The part inside my throat needs to be replaced because it gets gunky.  Yes, that must be a medical term because the doctor used it.  I am getting ahead of myself.          Because of the appointment I needed to get up earlier than usual so my night caregiver got me up.  As Kellsyann got me up  my legs decided they did not want to support me.  She had one hand on me, but had not moved her other hand.  As I slowly crumbled she tried to stop me while saying no, no, no.  Would have been a great Americas Funniest home video.  Things got even better.  Lifting from behind she got me up with no problem but then a complication. Kellsyann isn't tall enough to move me from her lap to the bed.  Must have looked like someone trying to make a puppet move.  I could not help because my feet could not get traction without my weight on them.  After 4 tries she wanted to call Todd to help.  Now that is not as easy as it sounds. There are phones in every room of the house, but she still could not reach it without leaving me leaning on the bed.  Those of you that had or were kids 40 - 50 years ago might remember weebles.  They were toy people figures that had round weighted bottoms.  Of course you had to buy the special plane, bus or car for them.  The ads on television had a cute jingle that said weebles wobble but don't fall down. I have the same round bottom but don't sit back up. Now I have that jingle in my head along with a picture.  The rest of the story is a non-event. They got me up, fed and dressed as usual. I was on time to my appointment.  Nurse Molly had already ordered the trache so did not have to wait.        What changed this from an ordeal to an adventure?  The pictures in my head of someone struggling to move a life size puppet and that crazy weeble commercial.

No comments:

Post a Comment