Another Adventure

New adventures haven't stopped since we stopped sailing.
Now my adventures are technological.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

pride goes before a fall

Last Sunday the sermon was about all of us wanting a close community around us on one hand while at the same time we keep people at a distance by only showing our good side. I hate it when the sermon hits close to home. :)

So this is what I was not going to share. My new foot petal does not fold out of the way so getting out of chair is more difficult. I also had to move two pressure sensative switches to the inside of my arm rest so I could press them with my thumb as my fingers could no longer press them. Even though I knew it was a hazard I developed the habit of straddling the foot petal when standing. That proved to be a mistake.

Yuki was helping me out of my chair when my pant leg caught the foot pedal pushing me forward. As I went to my knees I sat on the pedal and the chair jumped forward running over my right leg. While I was getting out of the chair, my hip hit the on/off button and turned the chair back on. Yuki quickly turned the chair off (again) and straightened out my legs. She had me sitting up on the floor and ran to get a phone. About that time I started to roll sideways because I have no upper body muscle strength, and lay flat on the floor. Hearing the clunk of my head she ran back with the phone. She wanted to call 911 to get me back in my chair but I said no (I know that was dumb). I thought Todd would be here soon so asked her to call him. His phone didn't pick up but we left a message. Then Dave came home earlier then I expected. The two of them put me back in my chair and we all breathed with relief. That is until I said I still had to pee, which was the reason I was getting out of the chair in the first place.

I guess it isn't all bad if we learn something. 1. We put a phone in the bathroom programmed with emergency numbers. 2. Next to the phone is an information sheet with address, phone number and nearest cross street. 3. Caregiver Cindy said she was older and meaner, so she would call 911 no matter what I said and I think Yuki will too. 4. Maybe I won't be as stubborn next time since I was chewed out by everyone. Just remember to be close to people you have to share the dumb and silly things you do. Now it is your turn.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cynthia.
    Most of my dumb and silly things probably shouldn't be mentioned on a widely read forum:) but there are plenty for sure!!!
    Your experience sounds harrowing! I can only imagine new equipment has a learning curve. How fortunate that Yuki was close by and Dave returned sooner than expected!
    Love to you both! b and j

    ReplyDelete